4.10.2012

Norman Oklahoma Photographer

I tell all my students to not buy more gear until you master what you own. Summer of 2005 I bought a Canon 20D and 24-70 2.8L. Soon after i bought a 70-200 2.8L. These 2 lenses covered almost everything i needed working as a photojournalist. A few years after graduating i bought a 15mm 2.8 Fisheye Lens. To offer rentals to students i also bought cheaper primes: 50mm 1.8II and 85 1.8. 

Supporting my family (bills, mortgage, studio lease) i had the hardest time justifying buying a 50 1.2L when i already had that focal length at 2.8. But as i have adjusted to shooting more newborns, it seemed like it was time to add to my tool set. I tried 100mm 2.8 macro... but besides a few shots of hair swirls and eyelashes, it wasn't my fav-- slow/difficult to focus. 

Honestly i'd love a 70mm 1.2L. It's perfect for me. But that doesn't exist. So it was between the 50 and 85. I borrowed both from photographers... and each had it's place. I got to borrow the 50 1.2L twice briefly from Dallas photog Leah, and i knew it was someday going to be mine. I love the slight distortion the 50 gives... can be quite flattering, esp shooting women. I even used the 50 1.8II ($125ish) but couldn't depend on it being such a cheap lens.

I have been blessed to be SUPER busy with weddings and seniors and newborns... so with plenty of wiggle room in my account, i finally took the plunge! It arrived yesterday.


Can i just say i'm in LOVE??? I adore the shallow depth of field of 1.2. I can't wait to use it for my newborns sessions this week! Along with an adorable new doll bed my amazing husband made me. 


Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments: